Telephone tricks for success in your job search



By Bonnie Mackenzie 

Improving your communication skills may be a piece of the job search you haven’t thought much about. I get phone calls often from people looking for jobs who are inquiring about opportunities, resume writing, etc. One thing I’m noticing more often than not are those who are “still” looking for a job have not paid attention to how they come across over the phone.

When you are speaking to someone over the phone inquiring about jobs and opportunities, practice first. Sound confident, prepared and organized. Don’t talk in run-on sentences or give the listener time to say something. Ask them questions.

 When you call that potential employer, or even someone to pick their brain about your job search, being able to speak effectively will give you a leg up.

Here’s how you start:

Jot down what you want to say, making clear notes. I wouldn’t exactly write a full script; you don’t want to read it word for word. If you have notes and you’ve practiced, you’ll come across more naturally.

A good rule of thumb is to not say more than three to four sentences without stopping. Start by introducing yourself and ask them if this would be a good time to talk to them. Then start your presentation if they say it’s OK to do so. As you are speaking, give the listener time to respond. Don’t cut them off. Don’t just run on and on about why you are calling, not giving them a chance to respond. Ask them a question or two.

Have three or four questions prepared to ask of the person you are calling. Ask them what openings they may have.

Tell them about your background. If they don’t ask you questions, they may not be interested. Ask them if they are if they don’t respond.

I have been told I’m a good listener. I’ve developed these skills over the years as part of my career. I pay attention to what is being said (usually). As the person is speaking, I take notes so I can respond positively. I try to catch their name and write it down so I can use it several times.

Just food for thought for your job search. Good luck!

Bonnie Mackenzie is co-owner of Shore Staffing, a temporary and permanent placement firm located for Delaware, Maryland and Virginia. You can reach her at 410-957-2800 or bonnie@shorestaffing.com.

2 comments:

  1. Some people are natural-born talkers, others listeners. Communication involves that and so much more. You've made an important point - that you developed these skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marianna

    Thanks so much for posting here. I agree that we often don't think enough about what our audience needs to hear. Instead too often we just think about what we want to say, or worse don't even plan that and just wing it!I think this post raises these points very well, so my thanks go out to Bonnie for her insight.

    By the way -I have followed you on Twitter :-)

    Kind regards

    Neil

    ReplyDelete