Linkedin – a must for job seekers AND employees (video) Pt1.



Since its launch is 2003, Linkedin has grown steadily to become the default online professional networking platform. As of January 2013, Linkedin has over 200 million users in more than 200 countries.

Today, just about every professional has some sort of presence on Linkedin. If you are reading this, I am sure you do. I’ll admit right here that until three or four years ago, I used Linkedin simply as a self updating address book of my professional contacts. I had a basic profile and never updated it unless I changed my job.

But things have changed massively since then. Firstly, the growth of Linkedin users has been exponential. Secondly, in the last 12 months or so Linkedin has introduced several radical new enhancements to its platform and functionality. Thirdly, and most importantly, it is revolutionizing how organisations and recruiters now find the talent they are seeking.

If you have a job, then it’s critical that you maintain and develop your Linkedin profile, so that your next opportunity finds you. If you are looking for a job, then Linkedin is an incredibly powerful tool IF you know how to get the most out of it. I am certain that even established users do not harness more than about 10% of its power.

Right now I am preparing a bang up to date book on Linkedin for jobseekers which I’ll make available on 40pluscareerguru as soon as its ready. But so you don’t waste any time waiting for me, I thought I’d share this introduction to Linkedin which contains valuable do's and don’ts for every Linkedin user.

Many thanks to recruiter, coach and Linkedin expert Bob McIntosh who shares his insights here and to the New England Job Show for the production.

2 comments:

  1. I been on Linked In.com now for a entire year and I am also active job seeker. I used Linked in to meet and network with professionals in Human Services and a lot of different fields. I am very active on Linked In and very happy with the web site based on being a Professional Networking Site. I enjoyed this article a lot and I look forward to continue to grow with Linked in. I also suggest that once you land your "Dream Job" please stay in contact with all the people who helped you get to your new job never forget people who lend a helping hand to you in your tim e of need!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Regina

      Thanks so much for posting here about your experiences with Linkedin.

      I totally agree with your recommendation about maintaining your newtowrk contacts after you've landed the job. The new Linkedin features make this much easier than it used to be.

      Thanks for sharing!

      Kind regards

      Neil

      Delete